Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Wherein My Dad has to go to the hospital

About 10 minutes after I left for school today, my Dad had to be taken to the emergency room by my Mom. Mom is a nervous driver. She's just nervy over all, and she HATES driving in my Dad's car. She doesn't know how to adjust the seat.

But she drove him to the hospital, where he collapsed in the emergency room.

My Dad had cancer you see. Colon Cancer. He had it removed when I was in high school. There was a long painful recovery.

He had a stent changed yesterday. After he had his colon removed, they put this little tube, called a stent, into him and it regulates the amount of bile that the Liver dumps into his shorter digestive tract (which is shorter because, hey, no colon) If too much bile goes in, he gets sick and then dies. But the stent has to be changed every 10 months. He got it changed yesterday, but it got infected. He's on Anti-biotics now and painkillers too. I hope he's asleep and not in pain right now.

I feel so bad for not being here. It's not my fault, but he was feeling so rough this morning. I wish I had known he was so sick.

It hit me. This is how my Dad is going to die. One day, he'll just collapse as a consequence of having had his body put back together after the cancer... and he'll die.

I hope that however I die, it will be quick.

I hope I'm there next time. I'd want to be there for him, so he wouldn't have to die alone.

I was gonna put up my Vaganza experience, but I'm having a hard time remembering it. If you look at the links, I think you'll find that Budman posted an excellent summary of the event, and I'm sure my buddy the Hek, who is also in the links, will render an accurate portrayal as well.

Needless to say. Vaganza was a blast.

Now I have to find someway to get this Postmodernist essay written.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home